Author Topic: Town Assault II  (Read 4272 times) Share

Offline C-X

• DV Marshal
  • What awesome looks like!
    • View Profile
    • Rantings of a Casual Gamer
Town Assault II
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:32:06 am »
Don't know if you guys have seen this.  I have to admit I'm quite interested, since last year's event has been getting raves.

As you know I'm not the world's biggest milsim fan but I don't mind a bit of extra realism wherever possible.  At least this doesn't look to be as far fetched as DT (and I daresay it'd be better organised).

Also, since it looks as if we won't be attending DT this year, that only leaves Fireball at the end of August.

Thoughts / opinions?

Offline leetabix

• DV Marshal
  • Spin ftw
    • View Profile
Town Assault II
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 01:14:42 am »
A few points to various rules, posts by organizers to ponder over...

4. This will be a locap/midcap only event. NO hicaps.

No way they can enforce this one with that amount of players, right?

10. Ear Defenders will be supplied to every player, because with the amount of pyrotechnics we have lined up...you are probably going to need them!.

Details of allowed pyros?  Probably quite dangerous if enough to cause concern to warrant wearing ear defenders.  And will result in players taking them off so they can use comms effectively, and/or hear other people talking.  Later on it says they're not compulsory...so I imagine most people will opt out.  Any way of getting a list of allowed pyros?  And even then, I imagine players will bring what they like, another thing that's unfortunately hard to enforce

11. As the game will not stop because its night time, players can choose to retire back to a safezone or can sleep in the building working through the night on 1 hour stags. Because the action is not going to stop because some might be getting a bit sleepy!

Night time games are potentially a lot of fun, but need more attention to detail marshalling wise, through strictly controlled speed limits and illumination of the surrounding area by mobile vehicles, increased marshalling around points of contact etc.  potentially the least smooth period of the day

But what else has Copehill got? Firing ports, trapdoors, grenade sumps, loft spaces ( with sniper hides - removable roof tile ), mouseholes inside and out, burnt out cars, armoured vehicles, pill boxes, trenches, hidden fire positions within piles of rubble, pub, shops, farms, garages and a petrol station.

Doesn't sound very safe re: burnt out cars/trapdoors.  Hopefully everything's been covered H&S wise

500fps Sniper Rifles (Bolt action or Single-shot AEG), with a minimum range of 30 metres.

Not going to start a legality debate, as it's been done loads of times before...but...well, just so you know, that's the limit :)

Ammunition limits...impossible to enforce?

There is burn trays in the burnt out vehicles. We will be asking about it when recce the site at the end of the month. I certainly hope we can use them! devil.gif

open fires...hmm, unsafe unless closely monitored?

Any corrections/observations on my comments?

Offline Sid

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://dragon.dragonvalley.co.uk
Town Assault II
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 01:27:39 am »
does sound OTT for airsoft.. another attempt at making it realistic..... DT 1.5 ? :D
ASCUK - The most banned members award 2000 - 2005

Help ASCUK win it this year by simply posting your own opinion on one of thier forums!

Offline leetabix

• DV Marshal
  • Spin ftw
    • View Profile
Town Assault II
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 01:29:13 am »
Well, as none of us have direct involvement with the organisers for this eveni, they might be really good in organising this...or not.  Time will tell.

Offline Russ

• Elitist Fat Tosser
    • View Profile
Town Assault II
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 11:35:37 am »
When I saw it, I thought about suggesting it here.

Then I read the rules, and they put me off tbh. It all sounded a bit hardcore, and not so much fun. Could still be a laugh though.

I'm busy that weekend, but otherwise I'd be up for it. Just remember to take a pinch of salt along.

Remember to be careful on what you say guys as ppl can come here who aren't us lot.

(Would also probably get some great photo opportunities!)

Offline CyALuME

• DV Marshal
  • Commiter of the immortal sin!
    • View Profile
Town Assault II
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 01:52:01 pm »
Well I've just looked on the website now and it looks like it's now fully booked =/.  I had a bit of interest in this but ah well sods law.

Offline leetabix

• DV Marshal
  • Spin ftw
    • View Profile
Town Assault II
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 01:52:40 pm »
Yes, I know-I worded my post so it's definitely taken as constructive criticism, I don't want anyone to think otherwise.

Offline stan

• DV Member
    • View Profile
Town Assault II
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 02:14:29 pm »
Having played at an event here before - the proposed amount of people onsite will make it very cramped and you will literally be falling over people in places I suspect.

When the shutters are closed, the buildings get very, very dark and I can't recall them being lit/powered for the night games, as it is in the middle of nowhere, it will still be very dark at night and almost impossible to marshall as I can't recall street lighting being there. In every building there are trapdoors through to the floor above/below and if these are left open then there could be some nasty injuries at night! Alot of the buildings too have basements interlinking between other buildings too and I can only imagine how loud it would be in those tunnels if pyro is let off

As a site, I reckon another private day there with smaller numbers (in daylight!) would be awesome as last time the weather and lack of organisation from Chinny let the day down somewhat. Have a look on Bkat Gallery - Copehill for some pics of the place
Stand Down Sir!

Offline C-X

• DV Marshal
    • View Profile
Town Assault II
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 08:37:47 pm »
Put me down for that Stan :)

Offline leetabix

• DV Marshal
  • Spin ftw
    • View Profile
Town Assault II
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 12:19:06 pm »
Same here...would have no qualms playing it in daylight but night time sounds a tad too dubious.  Guess we could go and only play during daytime, but...well, it's a lot of money for not a lot of gameplay.

Offline C-X

• DV Marshal
    • View Profile
Town Assault II
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 12:37:52 pm »
Indeed, you'd have to play through the night just to get your money's worth.

Ah well, it's irrelevant now anyway.