Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 7135 times) Share

Offline Lawman

• DV Marshal
  • "Isn't pyro just lovely"
    • View Profile
Newbie Questions
« on: August 12, 2006, 03:22:37 am »
Ok, I'm an airsoft newbie so go easy on me  :|.

I was hoping to make the next DV event but i've just found out that the rifle that I ordered could take up to 2 weeks for delivery but will definately be heading your way at some point soon, providing of course you do not ban me from attending before hand.  :?

Having spent the last 3 hours carefully comparing weapons and prices and of course 'coolness' factores, I have gone with the Tokyo Marui M4A1 (2006 Version) as I thought it would make a good first time gun. Plus I think its purty.  :tu:

I've got a full set of DPM's, Boots and a combat vest capable of holding 6 of the 10 lowcap mags that I bought in bulk. Giving me an approximate loadout of around 300bbs. I see that the limit is set at 600 per game, does this mean I am gonna be seriously outgunned? or will I scrap through (with enough cover :P ).

Also, am I likely to need an extra battery as I have heard they have a tendency of running low during long days?

You'll have to humour me with these questions and the ones that follow, I like to come prepared.  :oops:

Offline FuzzY

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 08:46:38 am »
You will be allowed to reload lo-caps during the field to make up 600rds. In fact its the only circumstance you can carry spare ammo to reload in the field, just tell the marshalls at the start of the day you are using lo-caps.

You got your camo, you got a tac vest to carry stuff, and most importantly you got a set of boots to save your ankles. I imagine youve got a mini battery to go in that gun, and its always advisable to have 2 mini batteries for a full day game, but Ive got a friend who has played plenty of times at DV with only one and managed to get a way with it.
Co-Host of Fuzzy-Krell FM channel 4/05 broadcasting every other sunday

Offline Firkit

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dragonvalley.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 11:46:01 am »
You sound remarkably well equipped for a first timer! I went to my first airsoft game having never even seen an AEG in the flesh. The only essential that I don't see in your list is eye protection, but you can always borrow that from us.

Why not book in for the 20th and hire an AEG for the day? Next game after that is going to be 17th Sept as we're skipping the one the weekend after the bank holiday in order recover from the Fireball weekender. If your AEG arrives before the 20th just cancel the rental.

Offline Head Wreck

• Sergeant Major
  • WALT founder
    • View Profile
    • WALT home site - Welsh Airsoft Layabout Team
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 12:19:05 pm »
sometimes i barely touch 200 rounds off.

i think your better equiped than most of us.

good eye protection is important and as firkit says theres allways a mask available.

a good charger is also one of the best investments i ever made

Offline Lawman

• DV Marshal
  • "Isn't pyro just lovely"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 01:30:17 pm »
Could anyone recommend a good battery/charger combo for this weapon. Having spent 3 hours last night blurry eyed looking at firearms I may have ordered it thinking it came with a battery, and in actual fact it doesnt. *DOH*  :oops:

Offline beefy0978

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:18:06 pm »
Don't forget that at DV you can quickly recharge your battery at lunch time for free! It's what I've done as I'm new too. It's gonna take a while to expand the kit list. And you could cheat realism a little and buy a Hi Cap mag for around ?25 (330 rds I think in that gun) to bring you up to the 600 rds per game.

I would agree with Firkit. If you're new to this, get your gear on and hire a rental for a day if yours hasn't turned up. You'll be hooked and probably want hi cap mags)!

I'll miss the next one guys 'cos I got married yesterday and leave for my honeymoon in the morning (If they'll let me fly to the USA). Regardless, see you all on the 17th September...    :Dhttp://

Beefy0978

Offline Head Wreck

• Sergeant Major
  • WALT founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 07:47:40 am »
have a great time beefy and congrats

Offline Lord Krell

• DV Marshal
  • Diving now, diving now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:16:45 am »
The only thing missing from that list is the pistol with dozens of magazines to take all the extra ammo you need when you get stuck behind a hedge and realise you dropped your spare hi cap magazine in the dash and it is now pinned down my enemy fire......

or does that only happen to me.

Offline Head Wreck

• Sergeant Major
  • WALT founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 07:44:57 pm »
no just you.  but a decent GBB is an item that will forever be cherished

Offline Winter Man

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 08:16:01 pm »
Ahh, GBBs. I love mine and it loves me. The first time I ever used one was at DV a coupe of months ago, then I became obsessed with them and got one with 2 spare mags. Soon to be winging it's way to me is a new metal barrel, a silencer and an M3 light. They only had the light in olive so I'll respray my slide and grips to go with it. Maybe I'll respray my M16 to match too...

Boooom headshot!

Offline Head Wreck

• Sergeant Major
  • WALT founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 09:59:13 am »
also of note.

i usually get my batteries of this ebay store:  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ForBigBoysandGirls

Offline Lord Krell

• DV Marshal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 03:42:40 pm »
Well that and your BARBIE Manual TYPEWRITER   :o

Offline Head Wreck

• Sergeant Major
  • WALT founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 07:05:38 pm »
shhh.   i need my fix of clattering as i type.  and poison wore pink at times

Offline FuzzY

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 07:56:40 pm »
and poison wore pink at times
They did? Man that really screws over the feel of my CD collection.
Co-Host of Fuzzy-Krell FM channel 4/05 broadcasting every other sunday

Offline Lord Krell

• DV Marshal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 09:48:40 pm »
Sorry all i heard you say was something not related to Meat Loaf and i sort of zoned out.