Author Topic: Gas rifles  (Read 11915 times) Share

Offline jcarp

• DV Member
    • View Profile
Gas rifles
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:11:26 am »
So here I am looking at my rifle and pistol and loving the gas blowback function on the pistol and the weight and feel of it and wondering will a gas rifle be the same? I was lucky enough to have a play around a a gas M14 last time I was at DV and loved it. I found a relatively cheap gas M4 variant but does anyone have tips for someone interested in getting a gas rifle for the first time? Any help will be great :)

http://shop.battlegroupuk.co.uk/GG-CM16-Raider-L-GBB-BG0159A.htm

That's the one I'm looking at ATM
Last in, first killed. Always the last to know

Offline starscream

• DV Member
  • Out- Star Wars me.... I dare ya!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Gas rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:25:35 am »
I'd recommend a WE G39, or WE M4, (or my M14  :D), as your first gas gun.
the french have suggested that they arm the Libyan rebels
I can see it now....
Libyan Rebel: "how does it work?"
French soldier: "hey nonny nonnied, firmly if I know, we just drop it and run away"

Offline Greg

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:35:47 pm »
Gas rifles are a pain in the arse to get sorted due to fiddling about with an NPAS, might be worth looking into aftermarket internal parts as most stock GBBR's require some minor tweaking. GBBR's obviously comes with their pro's and cons, it just depends on what you prefer, realism or practicality?

If you're set in stone on one then first thing you will notice is the mags cost a bomb, there really is no need to be a full auto warrior when you're using a GBBR so just get enough mags to suffice 300 odd rounds then invest in a speed loader and one of those grenade shaped portable gas holding things who's name escapes me right now. Obviously if your budget is flexible then just get however many mags you feel appropriate, just remember they're pretty much double the weight of your standard AEG magazine so hulking around 12 of the buggers might get a little cumbersome. There really are loads of things you can get into with GBBR's, along with AEG's too.

Anyway that's all I have to say, there are plenty of people using gas rifles at DV and i'm sure they could guide you better than me, and I don't want to risk misguiding you!
The idiot who got stuck in a thorn bush
C04

Offline couger-w

• DV Marshal
  • I am the man with no name!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:18:16 pm »
And what do you base your opinions on greg? personal experiance or hear say?

My G39 has been running on stock internals for just over a year now, had to change the hammer once and replace the charging handle with a metal one as i was too rough with it, My KAC PDW granted was upgraded to a gen3 bolt set but everything else is still stock and its about a year old and still using its original stock hammer.

Like any airsoft weapon, they can be a pain if they break but unlike AEGs they can be stupidly simple to fix when something does go wrong.

Yes mags are heavy I am a bit crazy and run around with 10 G39 mags or M4 mags which is close to 6 kilos in weight but thats my choice my rig makes it easy to carry that weight too. Yeah ok you carry less ammo than most but with a gas gun the accuracy and range makes up for the lack of shots. Especially if you use the thing right.

The G+G GBBR raiders are a great entry level gun but its not a true GBBR it has a gas operated mock gearbox in it, they dont have the same sort of feel as the GBBR rifles by WE, King arms are G+P as the recoil is a hell of a lot less, the mag system is the WA system so prone to leacking a nightmare to re seal and almost twice the cost of a WE gen2 gas mag

Yoiu want genuine non bias advice on the pros and cons of GBBR guns have a chat with me, or reppy we both run gas. I would personally say look around have a look at peoples guns before just grabbing the first cheapest thing you see

Offline Reppyboyo

• DV Member
  • Resident Gasser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:20:37 pm »
Now, a message from someone who actually knows what they are talking about from personal experience:

Personally I would not recommend the G&G GBBR as it defeats the whole point of a GBBR, which is to be more realistic in dimensions and operation.
Its really just an AEG with a gas mechbox. However if it still appeals to you best ask iGeza for more info as he owns one.

For a first GBBR I would HIGHLY recommend the WE G39 series.
About £200, very simple to strip down, maintain and works all year round on propane.
Mags are about £30-£35 a pop from this country and a bit cheaper from HK if you can avoid customs.
Owned one for over a year and it functioned perfectly well up until the 10k round mark where the trigger set had worn and needed replacing.

However if you really want an M4 I would recommend the WE M4 series.
Although there are better M4's out there the WE series is hard to beat on price. Especially if you include mags.
I found its best to import an M4. This side of the pond they go for a ridiculous £320+! However, you can get your own for around £200 by importing. (depends if you get stung by customs)
Mags are about £25-30 here and again a little cheaper overseas depending on customs, ensure you get Gen 2 magazines!
Again quite simple to strip down but does require tools for some parts, maintenance is very easy and works well most of the year. (M4's dont like winter so much)
As a bonus, a large amount of real-steel M4/AR-15 parts will fit the WE M4. Fun fact: The WE M4 is the only 1:1 scale M4 GBBR on the market.

6 mags (180 rounds approx) is plenty and will not weigh you down much, plus it teaches you how to aim without spamming!
Both will require a NPAS, which is about $15 and takes about 2 minutes to fit. Adjusting required 2 tools and is fairly easy to do.
I would also recommend buying a chrono, its handy to have your NPAS set the night before so you dont have to bugger about in the morning. (Aim for 320fps)

Any further questions Im more than happy to answer, I'll talk your ear off about GBBR's!

Offline Greg

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:34:36 pm »
Just word of mouth, things may well have changed since I last had a chat about them which is fair enough.

P.S, lucky I just picked up one of these, eh?

C04

Offline Greg

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:48:03 pm »
What I thought I knew, well, here is what I think I know

1. GBBR's are expensive to get running efficiently
2. GBBR's are very temperamental upon times
3. GBBR's require a certain taste
4. GBBR's often do require aftermarket parts soon after the initial purchase until as of recent where they have improved in quality
5. GBBR's are heavier than standard AEG magazines and do cost a lot more

So no, I will not give up. One thing I have noticed is that if someone talks down upon GBBR's it seems to be the same people running to defend them and automatically trying to claim some moral high ground. What I was doing with the 'flame suit' posts was shunning away your little digs towards me, and to be honest, I expected a little better from you. Fair enough I don't know everything, all you needed to do was correct me and leave it at that but for some reason you wanted to drag it out and make a mountain out of a molehill.

It's like you put instant curses on someone who mentions GBBR's in a negative way. If you're claiming me to be a troll, then you're being a hypocrite as you have raised yourself's down to the same level.
C04

Offline backlash13

• DV Member
  • [DATA EXPUNGED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:30 pm »
1. GBBR's are expensive to get running efficiently
2. GBBR's are very temperamental upon times
3. GBBR's require a certain taste
4. GBBR's often do require aftermarket parts soon after the initial purchase until as of recent where they have improved in quality
5. GBBR's are heavier than standard AEG magazines and do cost a lot more

firstly, the digs were at continual and overuse of your "flame suit", no one cares that you arent a fan of GBBR, people care that you perpetuate wrong info about them.

1) was proven wrong by Andy and Chris.
2) can an AEG be temperamental too? Fiddling with shims, wiring, connectors etc?
3) the whine of an AEG may require a "certain taste" as are EBB and recoil shock, and moscarts....everything requires a "certain taste"
4) and dont AEGs? replaced hop up nubs/rubbers? smaller barrels? LiPos? connectors? all depends on input cost
5) depends on the AEG...a P90 will weigh nothing compared to a GBBR, but a full metal and wood AK47? add in the fact you'd carry less GBBR mags, and the rest of the kit, and the weight seems pretty negligible.

Offline Greg

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 11:14:44 pm »
1. I've seen plenty of stories that contradict and back up other stories, it seems to be hit and miss, but from what I have personally seen and heard they are mostly requiring some form of aftermarket parts, not to mention you need an NPAS too, which just adds to my other argument, that they cost a lot of money for performance you can get out of a mid range AEG.

2. That only comes when you want to upgrade and AEG, out of the box they're ready to go, unless you dive into batteries etc. etc.

3. If it does require a certain taste, how was I ever wrong?

4. AEG parts on the whole tend to break much less, i've seen countless forum threads where people have used a GBBR and in the first game something has gone wrong, the same can be said for AEG's which I do admit, it just so happens GBBR's get it a lot more, and also considering GBBR's on the whole do cost more.

5. I was talking about the weight of the mag, not the gun itself, so it's irrelevant.

Regarding to my 'over use' of the flame suite, it's a simple passive aggressive way of me telling you I don't care about your bigoted and frankly weak digs at me, which were also pretty immature, giving all I was doing was just merely brushing away your comments, yet you still came back with more weak and petty insults towards me. As far as I can see, everyone seems to be butthurt I've said something negative about GBBR's and are just after some more ego boosts.
C04

Offline backlash13

• DV Member
  • [DATA EXPUNGED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 11:27:24 pm »
The crux of the matter is that your opening point was stated as fact, not an opinion: "Gas rifles are a pain in the arse to get sorted due to fiddling about with an NPAS...", thats where the so called "flaming" is coming from in that andy and chris merely mentioned that it was quite the opposite. Also, i personally see it as no different than that of changing a spring of an AEG to be site legal.

and, the mentioning of bigotry i find a little extreme, and little more than an Ad Hominium attack on the rest of us to discredit anything we say, so i take exception to that.

Offline Greg

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 11:31:04 pm »
So word of mouth is no longer credible, is it? even though what I said was not purely based on here say.

And I was merely anticipating the gas crew's arrival, as aforementioned, you all come running to defend GBBR's, even if it means using weak and simply immature insults.

And Rory, you're the one who replied to my comment starting this off. Once again trying to claim some moral high ground and try to belittle anyone who disagrees with your opinion. Where in reality, you started all of this off with the image you replied to my comment with. So please, step down off your horse, you're just as much to do with this shit as the rest of us are.

This has only escalated because i'm not going to stand here and let people try and take the mick out of me. So if you're saying me defending myself is over exaggerating?

I have handled a GBBR before, and its performance was mediocre compared to the price tag involved, where you could easily get a high end AEG or even a TM recoil shock.
C04

Offline Greg

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:36:47 pm »
The crux of the matter is that your opening point was stated as fact, not an opinion: "Gas rifles are a pain in the arse to get sorted due to fiddling about with an NPAS...", thats where the so called "flaming" is coming from in that andy and chris merely mentioned that it was quite the opposite. Also, i personally see it as no different than that of changing a spring of an AEG to be site legal.

and, the mentioning of bigotry i find a little extreme, and little more than an Ad Hominium attack on the rest of us to discredit anything we say, so i take exception to that.

Do you need to pay to have a spring clipped, I think not.

Yes, there is bigotry, I have noticed you lot are in a group, and it's just a little more coincidental that you all come piling in looking for a brawl on one person regarding a subject your group is associated with. This whole thread is of your group bashing me for not having an opinion, have you ever thought it is my view/opinion that NPAS's are a pain in the arse to work with? 
C04

Offline backlash13

• DV Member
  • [DATA EXPUNGED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 11:40:53 pm »
have you ever thought it is my view/opinion that NPAS's are a pain in the arse to work with? 

then don't state it as a fact is the simplest option.

Offline FakeMessiah

• DV Member
  • Dead Player - FakeMessiah/Bieber
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Drum Cover Channel
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 11:42:55 pm »
I haven't said anything to defend GBBR's, nor gave an opinion. I have merely stated that Cougar and Reppy's post is based on sound fact from quite a great deal of experience, and that your's is not. Didn't realise you had played around with one once before, however for the amount of experience it is not worth the post based on a 1 off and word of mouth when all the guy was asking for was some advice on what to look at, which I think has been forgotten here. 

Offline Greg

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 11:51:14 pm »
I haven't said anything to defend GBBR's, nor gave an opinion. I have merely stated that Cougar and Reppy's post is based on sound fact from quite a great deal of experience, and that your's is not. Didn't realise you had played around with one once before, however for the amount of experience it is not worth the post based on a 1 off and word of mouth when all the guy was asking for was some advice on what to look at, which I think has been forgotten here.

I'm not discrediting their advice, I know they are more adverse in the subject than I am which is fine by me, and i'm willing to accept where I am wrong. And the main direction of my recent replies have been directed at you and Jon. My opinion/view or however you want to put it is just as valuable as anyone elses, as at the end of the day, it's to do with me personally.

Fair enough you haven't defended GBBR's, yet you still came here looking for an argument to defend your group, was there any need for that, and the same goes for the both of you. The way you two came at me about this whole thing was not needed and was extremely immature giving the fact you went out to try and belittle me, which has not worked giving you came here with a sense of upper being and chucking accusations of me being a troll, next time you call someone a troll, don't act like one yourself.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:55:34 pm by Greg »
C04