Author Topic: Machinist/access to lathe  (Read 929 times) Share

Offline cactus

• Private
  • Im the noob.
    • View Profile
Machinist/access to lathe
« on: April 24, 2013, 12:28:18 am »
Hi lads.

Looking for someone that might have access to a lathe.
I'm in need of a barrel to be threaded. (L96) so the thread would be inside. I've got no idea how to do this, so I was wondering if anyone could do this for me?

Possibly for free? or a small fee?

Also I've got a quick question to ask with regards to stocks. Could I use regular 2 part epoxy/filler to fill some rather large holes ive made on purpose? About 1' x 1' in size. Behind the hole is an empty space, I cant manage to get some mesh behind it as its awkward to fit, so could I pack the hole with something then go over the top with some body filler?

Cheers guys.

Offline Greg

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
Re: Machinist/access to lathe
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 05:21:30 pm »
For the stock, if there's nothing mechanical in there and it's just an empty space you could just shot some expanding foam in there. If it expands out of the holes then sand it down to the correct size then apply a small amount of filler on top of the foam. As for the threading, just try and look for your nearest metal works shop, they're bound to have some kind of threading tool.
The idiot who got stuck in a thorn bush
C04

Offline Dibs

• DV Marshal
  • Potato Salad
    • View Profile
    • FaceBook
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:54:15 pm »
so you want the thread on the oudside of the barrel on the inside?
World Of Tanks - Fellowz
Steam ID - Fellowz
Origin ID - mando-fett
War Thunder - Torque_Thunder

Offline Bunny

• Private
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:53:37 am »
so the thread would be inside.

had my father in laws company he worked for not gone under i could have helped you out there.  My father in law did quite a bit of fabrication for me on his lathe.  Should be possible if you gan get hold of a quality machineist.  Depends on the quality of the metal on the part and what size threadding you need doing.
Rifles - Magpulled classic army M15a4, DBoys Tactical AK47, Marui G36

Pistols - Tanaka M500 3+1, TM Sig 228, WA Baretta Cougar M8045, WA SVI 4", WA Para Ord 4.25"